SACNAS (Society for Advancement of Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans in Science) is an inclusive organization dedicated to fostering the success of Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans, from college students to professionals, in attaining advanced degrees, careers, and positions of leadership in STEM. The goals of the SACNAS Chapter at OSU are to:
- Further the work of, to improve the effectiveness of, and to enhance the public understanding of an appreciation for Hispanics, Chicanos, Native Americans, Alaska Natives, Native Hawaiians, and other underrepresented minorities in STEM fields.
- Find other Hispanics, Chicanos, Native Americans, Alaska Natives, Native Hawaiians, and other underrepresented minorities in the STEM fields to develop social networks with students that share the same aspirations.
- Network with faculty, students and potential employers in STEM fields to find research opportunities; learn how to get funding, grants, and internships; develop research presentation skills including preparation of research abstract, posters / oral presentations; learn about different STEM-related conferences and find travel support to attend or present.
- Provide a forum for students and professionals from different science disciplines to come together for professional development, academic, research experiences, community service, and social activities at The Ohio State University and communities in central Ohio.
- Partner with other organizations on campus and the Ohio community to provide mentoring, outreach and research-focused workshops for Hispanics, Chicanos, Native Americans, Alaska Natives, Native Hawaiians, and other underrepresented minorities in the STEM fields for both college and high school students promote student and professional recruitment and retention of Hispanics, Chicanos, Native Americans, Alaska Natives, Native Hawaiians and other underrepresented minorities in STEM fields at The Ohio State University.
In October 2019 in Honolulu Hawai’i, The Ohio State SACNAS chapter was recognized by the national SACNAS organization as the recipient of the 2019 SACNAS Outstanding Professional Development Award. The award is given to a chapter that has built a supportive community among members, created leadership opportunities for members, and created strategizes for new officer development during the 2018-2019 academic year. Some of the activities that resulted in this recognition include some of our recurring activities:
- OSU SACNAS Keynote Speaker Series
- CIENCIAS at Ohio State
- FAC Talk Series
- Our monthly social
- Social Media Takeover
- Chipotle Fundraiser